1981 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility,doi: 10.1109/ISEMC.1981.7569902
Eldon J. Haakinson
An investigation of the FM Broadcast Spectrum's utilization shows that more assignments are possible if some or all of the following recommendations are adopted:
- protections to existing facilities rather than to maximum facilities is granted
- the effect of terrain are considered,
- directional attenas as used,
- reasonable changes to the signal-to-interference protection ratios for cochannel and adjacent channel operation are adopted, and
- cositing of second- and third-adjacent channel transmitters with existing transmitters is permitted.
By way of demonstration of the techniques in a saturated market, the number of FM broadcast stations in Dallas-Ft. Worth could be increased from the present 21 stations to 38 stations.
Keywords: interference; frequency modulation; directional antennas; FM broadcast; FCC; FM Broadcasting Band; receivers; transmitters
Disclaimer: Certain commercial equipment, components, and software may be identified in this report to specify adequately the technical aspects of the reported results. In no case does such identification imply recommendation or endorsement by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, nor does it imply that the equipment or software identified is necessarily the best available for the particular application or uses.